Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Just a country girl....

I am just a country girl at heart, but never really realized how strong these roots were until a few months ago.  I grew up on the family farm and learned the value of hard work.  I saw my dad pour his heart into that farm sometimes getting nothing in return, but broken machinery and a poor crop.  I helped as much as I could starting at a young age.  I immediately knew it was a life I never wanted and couldn't wait till the day I turned sixteen.  This meant freedom for me.  The day I got an outside job was the day I no longer had to help on the farm.  I left and never looked back.  That is until now...

You see a few months back, my parents announced they were selling the farm.  A day I knew would come and didn't think would really bother me.  They were excited; I was scared.  These were big changes and I just wanted everything to work out.  As things were set into motion, I realized this was really happening.  Soon the family farm would be no more. 

The day of the auction was bittersweet.  I felt like as each cow got sold, I was watching a piece of my childhood sell with it.  Piece by piece, cow by cow, it was all gone.  As I stood on the barn walk watching my dad milk his final cow after forty some years, I finally realized where my roots would always be.  Right here on this country farm...

No comments:

Post a Comment